When employers receive the verification email from a student they will be hiring for the work term, they prepare and forward a formal offer to the student. The formal offer will normally include:
- Request for orientation meeting or tour prior to start date.
- Start date of work term.
- Hours of work.
- Name of person student will be reporting to.
- Work site address.
- Parking or transportation details.
Some employers require students to sign confidentiality agreements. Students should contact the Co-op Office or a lawyer prior to signing anything that they are not comfortable with or do not understand. Students may also be required to obtain a criminal record check prior to beginning a work term. These are available at the Winnipeg Police Station for a minimal fee.
Additional Preparation for Work Term
- Attend an orientation session with employer if requested.
- Arrange for parking or investigate appropriate transportation.
- Know the employer dress code.
- Brush up on any computer languages or programs that will be required during the work term.
- Gather information that the employer might request at the orientation session or on the first day of employment. This may include your Social Insurance Number, banking information (for direct deposit), and next of kin in case of emergency.